Chiropractic Care for Carpal Tunnel
Carpal tunnel is a painful condition. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway that is surrounded by bones and ligaments on the palm side of your hand. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve becomes compressed. Carpal Tunnel can be the result of many factors such as repetitive flexing, a nerve-damaging condition, or even something as simple as excessive fluid retention. Fortunately, the professionals at Beverly Hills Comprehensive Medical Group can treat the condition.
Carpal Tunnel Symptoms
In most cases, carpal tunnel syndrome occurs very gradually, and the symptoms are very mild. As the condition progresses, the symptoms will worsen. The symptoms include:
- This condition causes numbness and tingling in the fingers and the hands. These sensations often occur in the thumb and in every finger except the pinky finger. As the condition worsens, it will start to feel like an electric shock. The symptoms worsen when holding something, and can become so bad that the pain can wake you up out of a dead sleep.
- This condition causes weakness in your hands and can cause you to drop things.
Diagnosing Carpal Tunnel
There are a few ways that your doctor can diagnose carpal tunnel. These include:
- A history of symptoms: Your doctor will want to know when your symptoms began and how they are affecting your life. Your doctor will also want to know what movements have become challenging.
- Physical exam: During the physical exam, your doctor will test the feeling in your fingers and the strength in your hand.
- Electromyography: This test can identify damage to the muscles that are controlled by the median nerve.
- Nerve conduction study: This test is performed to diagnose carpal tunnel and rule out any other issues.
- X-ray: In some cases, your doctor might order an x-ray to rule out any other reasons for your pain.
Treating Carpal Tunnel
Chiropractic care is often used to treat carpal tunnel. Your chiropractor will use gentle manipulation of the wrist, elbow, and cervical spine to reduce the pressure in the median nerve. Your chiropractor may also give you a brace to wear either at night or 24 hours a day. Surgery is also an option.
Carpal Tunnel Treatment in Beverly Hills
If you have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, our chiropractor can create a treatment plan to help relieve the pain and other symptoms. To schedule an appointment, call Beverly Hills Comprehensive Medical Group today at (310) 657-0366.