Chiropractic Care for Scoliosis
Millions of Americans suffer from scoliosis. If left unaddressed, scoliosis can lead to chronic pain, and an impaired range of motion, and reduced overall quality of life. At The Beverly Hills Comprehensive Chiropractic Group, we have years of experience providing scoliosis relief through chiropractic care. When you first visit our office, our chiropractor will assess your musculoskeletal system before creating a chiropractic care plan tailored to your needs.
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis causes the spine to curve to one side. Though this curvature can occur in any part of the spine, the most frequently affected regions are the lower back and upper spine. Scoliosis typically occurs during an adolescent’s growth spurt. Most scoliosis cases are moderate, but some instances of spinal deformity may increase in severity as a young person grows. When children are diagnosed with mild scoliosis, a doctor may prescribe a brace to prevent the curve from worsening. Severe cases may require surgery, but most cases can be treated with less invasive methods.
Causes of Scoliosis
Though specialists are unsure of what causes scoliosis, hereditary factors do seem to be a factor. Some cases of scoliosis may be caused by:
- Spinal injuries and/or infections
- Neuromuscular conditions, such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy
- Birth defects that adversely affect bone development in the spine
Risk factors that are associated with scoliosis include:
- Sex – Although both boys and girls develop mild scoliosis at about the same rate, girls are more likely to have a curve that requires treatment.
- Age – Signs, and symptoms often begin during the growth spurt that precedes puberty.
- Family history – Scoliosis can run in families, however, most children who develop the condition don't have a family history of Scoliosis.
Chiropractic Treatment for Scoliosis
Scoliosis can be quite painful, and chiropractic care is the best approach to dealing with that pain. Our chiropractor performs spinal adjustments as well as alternative treatments such as therapeutic massage to help patients manage their pain.
In addition to chiropractic adjustments, we often recommend:
- Ways to move and rest to reduce pain
- Strengthening exercises that improve support for joints
- Learning how to take deep cleansing breaths
- Ideas for how to stay active without escalating the symptoms of scoliosis
Chiropractor in Beverly Hills
The American Chiropractic Association estimates up to seven million Americans suffer from scoliosis. It is important to find a chiropractor who specializes in scoliosis to ensure you receive the most effective chiropractic care possible. At The Beverly Hills Comprehensive Medical Group, our chiropractor has a detailed knowledge of musculoskeletal problems and conditions including scoliosis. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us at (310) 657-0366.